“I want to hire a behaviourist. How does it work?”
The way I work is as follows:
- After you have contacted me, I will send you a comprehensive questionnaire to provide me with as much info as possible about your dog’s life. Some of the questions might seem irrelevant and for us they might be – for your dog these things are important!
- Upon receiving your questionnaire I will analyse the information, come up with possible reasons why your dog is behaving the way he is, and work on a treatment plan to solve the situation.
- We then set up an appointment for a consultation. This takes place in your home where I can observe the dog in his own environment. The consultation can take between one and two hours, and in some cases a second consultation will be needed.
- THIS PART IS IMPORTANT. When I walk out of your house, you are going to get some homework. We give you the tools, knowledge and support, but you have to do the work. It takes patience and dedication. And it is worth it.
What I can do for you and your dog:
Solutions to common behaviour problems such as the following:
- Pulling on the lead
- Fear behaviours
- Over-excitement and jumping up
- Destructive behaviour
- Toilet training
- That Weird Thing your dog does that is now becoming a problem … And much more!
Puppy starter session
Attending puppy school is invaluable and a must. However, if this is not possible our puppy starter sessions assist with getting you and pup on the right path by providing the following:
- Tools and knowledge to change any current concerns you have.
- Learning the Sit and Down.
- Bite Inhibition – How to lessen the chances of your fingers being nipped when offering food or playing.
- Bringing in the basic House Rules – these are based on how dogs interact with themselves and are the foundations of good behaviour.
- Toilet training
- Swap – how to get your pup to release anything it is chewing on.
- Information on how to satisfy your pup’s chewing instinct and how to supply the necessary mental and physical stimulation a pup needs.
- Walking on lead without pulling.
- Food Bowl Exercises – to ensure that your pup does not develop resource guarding over food and his food bowl.
- Teaching a solid recall so that your pup will come back to you easily and happily.
- What to do if your pup shows any fear – this is not unusual, especially as the pup gets slightly older – fear periods do occur.
- How to avoid Separation Anxiety.
- Some basic Touches, based on TTouch to help to calm and settle your pup.
Naughty puppy/adolescent session (pups between 4 and 12 months of age)
It is no coincidence that the majority of dogs are surrendered to shelters between 6 and 12 months of age. The majority of these dogs are not ‘bad’ at all, their owners just did not have the knowledge and tools to change the behaviour.
Adolescence can be a really difficult time for both dog and owner, and could be compared to having a teenager in the home! The quicker you get help to turn the behaviour around, the better. The session will take place in the comfort of your own home.
Where do I work?
Based in the West Rand of Johannesburg, I cover all the surrounding areas. These include: Honeydew, Weltevreden Park, Strubensvalley, Northcliff, Ruimsig, Boskruin, Randpark Ridge, Wilgeheuwel and more.
Fees and cancellation policy
- Consultations are charged at R550 per session.
- Included in the fee are full notes about what we covered in the session, and I am available to you for two weeks after our session should you have any questions.
- All fees are payable in advance.
- No fees will be refunded for cancellations within 24 hours of your consultation, EXCEPT in case of ilness/death (proof required) which entitles you to a full refund.
Contact Noleen Fourie at 084 468 7293, send an email to email@example.com or click here to leave a message.